I come from stock that always had the tunes on full blast when there was serious business going on in the kitchen, so music and food go hand in hand for me: “Volare” will always remind me of making red sauce with my Nonna. “Gypsies, Tramps & Thieves” reminds me of peeling shrimp for Christmas Eve dinner with my Mom. “Just the Way You Are” reminds me of veal cutlets at my Auntie Rose’s. “Jump” is ribs with Uncle Bob and Auntie Debbie. “Hypnotize” is grilling steaks on a crazy mini hibatchi with Augie III. "Let it Snow" is Christmas cookies with Auntie Donna. Jamie Cullum’s “All at Sea” and Ryan Adams’s version of “Wonderwall” remind me of dark days and being in my teensy kitchen in the Shore baking my way through The Best Recipe and running sweet treats to my neighbors for taste testing. I have me a big old cooking-time playlist (titled Cookie! should you steal my iPod and want to see for yourself. But please don’t.) that I hit when I’m on a tear in the kitchen. It’s pretty jazz and standards heavy and I love it. Let’s see what little ditties pop up on a random shuffle, shall we?! We’ll do the first 20…this will be riveting!
· “I Just Don’t Think I’ll Ever Get Over You” - Colin Hay
Do you guys know Colin Hay? He’s the Men at Work guy! This song KILLS me!
· “The Very Thought of You" - Wynton Marsalis
· “Peel Me a Grape” - Diana Krall
One of my all time favorites. Ever.
· “Fastlove” - George Michael
I will love him always, no matter how many bathrooms he gets busted in or cars he falls asleep in. What?! Maybe he’s just tired! Don’t judge.
· “Thousand Kisses Deep” - Chris Botti
· “Like Rock & Roll and Radio” - Ray Lamontagne
LOOOOAAAAARRRDDDD this jam stops me in my tracks every damn time.
· “Slow Dancing in a Burning Room” - John Mayer
I know everyone hates him right now, but this is still one of my favorites.
· “Business Time” - Flight of the Conchords
Ah ha ha ha ha ha!!!!
· “Ain’t That a Kick in the Head” - Dean Martin
· “I Get a Kick Out of You” - Frank Sinatra
· “I’ll Be Your River” - Cyndi Lauper
This is her best song…ever. Well, tied with her cover of “I Drove All Night”
· “Solsbury Hill” - Peter Gabriel
· “Today” - Josh Radin
So sweet. So, so sweet!
· “Better Be Home Soon” - Crowded House
· “High & Dry” - Jamie Cullum
· “Volare” - Gypsy Kings
Typical. I’m surprised only one came up and that no Buena Vista Social Club did.
· “Daydreamin’” - Lupe Fiasco f/Jill Scott
I fell asleep among the flowers…
· “Rodeo Clown” - G.Love & Special Sauce
The live version with Jack Johnson!
· “Fallen” - Lauren Wood
You should fly me to San Francisco for dinner and the opera in rented jewels, you guys.
· “Besame Mucho” - Andrea Bocelli
Oh, someone’s gonna get beso’d alright.
What do you sweet cupcakes knock around in the kitchen to?
*Seriously. Sometimes it's because a song is so moving or sometimes it's because I'm just so excited to be having THAT experience RIGHT THAT MINUTE with the people I'm with. This happens a lot at The Greek Theatre with my Auntie Debbie. And cheap white wine. WE ARE FUN!